Translate

Friday, May 2, 2014

Up to Marquesas Arrival

From Wanda


Friday, April 4, 2014

We will be sailing to the Marquesas Islands tomorrow with Bruno Bomati and Marie Laroche.
Marie has flown here from France to join us on this passage. We are grateful to them both for their knowledge and wonderful companionship. Merci!

Marie, Bruno, and his wife Erin met us at the boat this morning and then we went shopping to finish our provisioning of fresh fruits, vegetables and French Cheese. Our cart was overflowing and food was falling off on the way to the car.

Theo and I had bought refrigerated and frozen items from Costco to bring with us for our trip, but we forgot a lot of it at home. Ironically, Bruno and Marie had done the same with many of the things they had bought from Trader Joe’s. Theo has a printer on board and even forgot to bring paper for it (thank you Charlie for the paper!). We had to laugh. In the end, we had the important things here with us. We had each other, our fearless dogs Mambo and Isabel (cough), our passports and, of course, we remembered to bring wine… All is very good.

It is a sailor’s superstition that one should never start a long voyage on a Friday, so we moored in Catalina for the night. On the way there we had a whale surface about 200 feet on our starboard side. Unfortunately, I was on the port side. I listened to my husband for the next 15 minutes telling me “she was right there!” pointing at the water next to our boat. Patience…

After mooring in Two Harbors, we were joined by Charlie and friends for a little going away bash. We broke open the Pata Negra prosciutto leg from Spain (from now on known as the Magic Ham), Charlie brought a huge bottle of very special French wine (the Magic Bottle) that we drank willingly. When we reach the equator, we will fill the bottle with our messages and throw it into the ocean.  We had a very fun and special evening. Friends, laughter and great memories… Thank you to all! Merci…

Pata Negra. We are not roughing it...

The Crew. Theo, Wanda, Marie, Bruno.

Arthur and Charlie in Catalina

Dolphins playing by our bow


Lesson for today: Perhaps it is better to leave on a bad luck Friday sober than to leave on a Saturday after a big going away party.

Quote for today: “You are not old until regret replaces your dreams”

French words for today: Vin Rouge
Translation: Red Wine

OCEAN SIGHTINGS: One Whale (by everyone else except me…)

  
Saturday April 5  2014
Departure from Catalina Island

In the morning we went onshore with the dogs and walked from Two Harbors to the Cat harbor (this is not a long walk). It would be the last time we would be on land for 20 days… even longer for Isabel and Mambo. We spent more time with our friends from the Naos Group, had some cheeseburgers and then literally sailed into the sunset. It was a great way to start our voyage. Theo and I have spent the last 21 years sailing to Catalina. We have watched it evolve and change. We have so many memories on that island. We know that it will be a long time before we return. It was very special for us to leave from there.

Just as we sailed past the last part of land we would see for a while, dolphins surfaced and swam with our boat. I felt as if they were wishing us well. We are finally making our big sailing adventure happen!

Lesson for Today:
If you tie up your dogs outside the restaurant at Two Harbors, every child in the immediate area will play with and pet them… very nice.

Quote for Today:
“This time, like all other times, is a very good one, if we know what to do with it.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
French words for Today: Nous commencons notre voyage aujourd’hui. Translation: We begin our voyage today

Ocean sightings: Dolphins wishing us well

Tears Shed: A few when I said Goodbye to Charlie in Catalina. It was an emotional moment for many reasons.

April 6 – 12 , 2014
Week One

The mornings are very special. Coffee with dolphins, Coffee with Whales…It is all good. We were outside of the United States on the first full day of sailing. The last piece of land we saw was Guadalupe Island (known for Great White Sharks). We will not see land again until we reach the Marquesas. Et Voila is performing beautifully. Not much to do… She is taking care of herself and our auto pilot (Wilson) is working constantly to keep her moving towards our destination, more or less (it is a sailboat after all…). The weather, wind and the ocean vary frequently. Some days are warm and we are gently moving and rolling along. Other days are gloomy and we feel like a pin ball being bounced around.  Boing, Boing, Boing (I’m sure you get the picture)... I should tell you that I have never felt unsafe. I know our boat was built for much rougher conditions than what we are experiencing. I was lying in bed listening to the sounds and just taking in the sensation of being in the open ocean. I have to say it is like being in a safe bubble in a washing machine. That is all my brain could come up with. There’s lots of swishing, groaning, cracking, banging and rocking… but not too bad. On some of the more challenging nights, it feels like I am still in the washing machine, but instead of being on gentle cycle, it is now on heavy duty cycle. Also, every so often, it feels like that T-Rex from Jurassic Park is ramming the washing machine trying to get to me. Yeah… that is what it feels and sounds like.

Theo is in his element… so he is happy and working hard.

Marie and Bruno are lovely. They are wonderful company, amazing and responsible sailors. We are so grateful for their knowledge and companionship. Bruno was teaching me how to trim the sails. I am honored. Marie has become a good friend. I know my experience would not be as comfortable without her. She has taught me how to make Panna Cotta and I help her with her English. She told me that she believes very strongly that after two months in French Polynesia, I will speak French well. I will do my best. The dogs have been a tremendous comfort for me personally. They had a rough time of it the first few days, but now they are calm and have adapted well to our new reality. They lift our mood and make us laugh… a lot!
We have caught two fish so far. One was a Mahi Mahi (ceviche) and the other was a Yellowfin Tuna (Sashimi). We will not need to fish again this week.
Yellowfin Tuna. Very strong fish yet it has very tender meat.

Getting the Spinnaker ready.

Wanda and the dogs

Bird resting on our boat.

Isabel checking the flying fish.


Lessons for this week:
1) Do not try to trim or pluck your eyebrows while on the open ocean.
2) If you catch a fish on your pole while eating lunch, do not leave Mambo unattended at the table.
3) Always, leave one hand free at all times to hold on to something stable.

Quotes for this week:
“How much pain they have cost us, the evils which have never happened” Thomas Jefferson
“I have not ceased being fearful, but I have ceased to let fear control me. I have accepted fear as part of my life, specifically the fear of change, the fear of the unknown. I have gone ahead despite the pounding in the heart that says: Turn back, turn back; You will die if you venture too far” Erica Jong
“You have a brain in your head and feet in your shoes… you can steer yourself any direction you choose” Dr. Seuss

French words for this week:
Le Chien a Faim. Translation: The dog is hungry
Passe moi le poisson s’il te plait. Translation: Please pass the fish
Café avec les dauphins ce matin. Translation: Coffee with dolphins this morning
Je mo sens heureu se et de’tende. Translation: I feel Happy and Relaxed

Ocean Sightings: Whales, dolphins, flying fish, one military airplane that did a low level fly-by (I will never forget Marie’s horrified expression), a black bird with yellow and red wings that hitched a ride with us for an hour or so, a butterfly (I swear…Theo saw it too), a 620 foot Cargo ship heading in our direction between 2 and 4 am, one Mahi Mahi and one Yellow Fin Tuna on our fishing poles and now in our bellies.

Books: The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost
An Embarrassment of Mangoes by Ann Vanderhoof

Artists on my playlist: Rusted Root, Peter Frampton, Colin Hay, Gypsy Kings , Michael Franti and  the Spearhead, Bee Gees, Bob Marley

Tears Shed: Zero


April 13-19,2014
Week Two

As of Sunday the 13th, we have sailed 980 miles. We are between the Hawaiian Islands and the Galapagos. We will be in the Doldrums in 6 to 7 days. This is an area with no wind or light variable winds just north of the equator.

The wind is picking up to 20 knots and the ocean is choppy. Et Voila is surfing the swells and handling it very well.  The boys are busy with the sails and I am trying to cook dinner (this experience will be in the Lessons section which follows). Marie has nicknamed me Cordon-Bleu, after the famous French cooking school, because I love to cook.  I have been spending a lot of my time chopping and peeling. I enjoy creating different meals with what we have available on board. Our water maker has stopped working. There is enough water for the four of us and the dogs to drink, but no showers and only salt water to wash the plates and glasses. Theo is so frustrated.

The ocean really affects your mood. When it is sunny and blue skies I feel happy. When it is storming, grey and choppy I feel sad. It is very intensely felt here. Every day is like a different season. Is it summer today? No, it is winter today… Yesterday was summer…Darn. The wind changes very quickly. It picked up to 26 knots during Theo and Bruno’s shifts. During mine it calmed to 16 knots and we were sailing at 8 knots steady. As of day 10, we have sailed 1,300 straight miles.

There have been three birds soaring over our boat all day. Our boat is stirring up the flying fish and the birds are diving after them. I have never seen so many flying fish. They are not like the larger ones we see in Catalina. Much smaller and everywhere!

No one sleeps very well. T Rex is becoming more aggressive. Our larger dog, Mambo, has been sleeping on a dog cushion at the foot of our bed. He gets startled by the hull banging, so lately  we feel his wet nose on our feet at night. Now it is the four of us in the tiny bed and Mambo is not considerate with the amount of space he takes up.

I woke up the next morning and was really tired. I was greeted by Theo (before my cup of coffee) who enthusiastically asked me to clean a flying fish he had found on the deck.  He has never eaten a flying fish before, so he wanted to fry it up. I knew what my answer was immediately. Remember, NO is a complete sentence. Unfortunately for me, I couldn’t stop my mind from imagining myself actually cleaning the fish. I was very green for the rest of the morning and wanted to punch Theo in the nose. He gave me some crackers and ginger tea… all was forgiven.

Before our departure, I envisioned that the dark nights would be frightening. Now that I have experienced them, I have to say it is peaceful and gorgeous. It is perhaps my favorite time of the day. It is not dark. The moon is big and bright. You can watch it rise from the horizon like the sun rises in the morning. The stars are a meditation for me. I have never seen anything like it.

The big swells (10-15 feet) continue and Et Voila is surfing them. They look like they are as tall as the boat, and then we are lifted up as they passed underneath us. If you want to see it with a glass half-full attitude, it is like the swells are helping by pushing us along toward our destination… Yeah, that’s it…  If you want to forget your past pain and future worries, jump on a boat and go to the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Watch the swells. You will be in the present moment and you mind will be quiet. It is awesome and humbling. We are nothing at all actually, in this ocean.

On our radar, we can usually see a storm coming. One was approaching during my shift (2-4 am). It is unsettling to watch a really huge red and yellow blob on the radar screen coming closer and closer. Our autopilot, Wilson (in wind Vane mode), actually turned our boat around to get away from the storm… We were headed back to California. Wilson is smart.  It was the most intense night. The rain and wind picked up tremendously and changed direction (that’s why Wilson, who was following the wind, turned around). Lying in bed, I realized that Godzilla has joined T Rex in his efforts to get into the washing machine.


Squall showing on the Radar. We were right under it...

Beautiful!


Lessons for this week:
1) Do not bring more chocolate than you can eat before the equatorial heat hits. You will have chocolate fondue.
2) Corelle dishes are not break and chip resistant after all.
3) Boiling water for pasta is not a super smart  idea during a squall… Have a can of tuna instead.
4) Flying fish are quite tasty when fried in butter.
5) Bringing make up or lotions  here is pointless… Whatever you put on your face slides off within seconds.

Quotes for this week:
“Don’t wait, the time will never be just right” Napoleon Hill
“I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone” Bill Cosby
“I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it” Maya Angelou
“Hold on to your Butts” Jurassic Park Movie

French words for this week:
Il fait tre’s  chaud  pour le moment.  Translation: It is very warm at the moment
Poisson Volant. Translation: Flying Fish
Le lune est belle. Translation: The moon is beautiful
Mon esprit est tre’s tranquille. Translation: My mind is very quiet
Il ya un dinosaur a l’exterieur. Translation: There is a dinosaur outside

Ocean Sightings:
Flying fish everywhere (one in our shower, one in Bruno’s shower, one on our bow trampoline, one in our bed, and one dried up small fish we found between our headboard and mattress.
Three birds kamikaze diving for the fish.
Dolphins.
Books: The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
The Dive From Clausen’s Pier by Ann Packer

Artists on my playlist:
Train, Paolo Nutini, Eels, Pepe and the Bottle Blonds, John Cruz and Pharrell Williams

Tears Shed: Zero


Easter Sunday April 20,2014
Crossing the Equator

It is a beautiful morning. It is sunny, blue skies and smooth sailing. Phew! Marie is making Panna Cotta for our dessert tonight and I am preparing Hard Boiled Eggs and Fresh Boat Bread for our Easter lunch.
Today is very exciting and important for all of us. We have 55 miles until we reach the equator. We will be there around 8 o’clock tonight .This is a tremendous accomplishment for all of us. None of us has experienced it before. We will reach Hiva Oa in the Marquesas in 700 miles. Hopefully the wind and ocean will stay consistent from now on… Ha!

For our Equatorial Crossing dinner, Bruno cooked up some amazing scallops with a balsamic sauce. Next was Pasta with Langostinos, panna cotta and champagne. We are all happy.
When we reached the Equator it was about 9 PM and very dark. We dropped the sails, turned on the underwater lights and jumped in. Theo was the first one to dive in and he jumped from our flying bridge. For my jump, one hand was holding Marie’s and in the other I had the journal that I kept during chemotherapy, surgery and radiation treatments. It is now at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. I have no desire to remember one second of it. Done with that.

The water was warm and we were very happy with the calm, star-filled night. I don’t know how to describe the feeling of knowing you are swimming in the middle of the largest ocean. Surreal I guess. Who knows the depth of it or what is lurking around you. Once we were all back on board, we filled Charlie’s empty wine bottle (the Magic Bottle we drank in Catatlina, remember?) with our individual messages and released it into the ocean. Then, the four of us stood at the stern for what felt like a very long time. We just stared up at the stars. They are so vast. Mesmerizing. I don’t think I have ever seen anything so spectacular. I believe that moment is the closest we will ever come to feeling like we are in outer space. It was the best experience ever… Really.


The bottle is ready for the messages. Tee-shirts supporting ALS by NAOS Yacht Sales.

If you find this bottle, let us know!
Our swim at the equator...an unforgettable moment.


 Celebrating at the Equator, in the middle of the Pacific after a swim under a clear star-filled sky.


Quote: “We live in a world where man has walked on the moon. It’s not a miracle, we just decided to go” Jim Lovell

French Words: Oce’an tres somber  Translation: Very dark ocean

Lesson: Tie Mambo and Isabel to a secured leash attached to the boat before you jump into the dark ocean

Ocean Sightings: Thankfully nothing

Song for today: Waiting for my real life to begin By Colin Hay

Tears Shed: Zero


 April 21-24, 2014
Week Three

The water maker is still not working. Theo has tried everything he knows, but he can’t work on it until we are anchored somewhere calm. We are salty, sticky and very hot. We have been taking bucket showers on the stern. Not so bad…

Have I mentioned that everything remains damp? You can hang things to dry in the scorching sun and it always remains wet and smells a bit strange. This goes for everything… Our table, the sheets, pillows, floor, clothing, mirrors… I could go on and on. I am so grateful we bought airtight containers to store the staples for our meals. Food goes stale very fast. Theo left a few shelled pistachios in a bowl. When I tried to eat them 10 minutes later and they were soggy. Once they get hit with the humidity, they are done.

We are getting many squalls at night. The wind has picked up again and we hardly have any sails up. Steady at 5 knots. The mornings are grey and wet. For me, the last 3 days were the most challenging. I was tired of holding on to the walls, galley, lifelines… whatever I could find. The wind is all over the place. Just when I think it might be clearing up, a fast moving dark cloud comes and dumps on us. Wilson is still occasionally trying to return to California.

As of April 23rd, we are 360 miles from Hiva Oa. So close.
Meanwhile, Theo is still troubleshooting about the water maker. He thinks we will have to have parts shipped to Hiva Oa. That will not be easy… Patience.

I truly feel that the Pacific has been kind to us. Et Voila has been extremely strong and safe throughout our crossing. I have never felt fearful that something bad might happen (except for Mambo and I will explain that later). Of course we had Bruno and Marie’s knowledge and help. Bruno is an amazing sailor and has taught us many things that we were not aware of. Marie has been a great companion and comfort to me personally. She is fun, smart and has made me laugh a lot. Plus, they love our dogs and that is wonderful… Merci.

Speaking of the dogs, let me share some stories. We were quite worried about how our Cockapoo, Isabel, would handle this trip. She is usually quite the princess, but in this case she has adapted to her new environment extremely well. She stays close to us and loves looking at the water. We sit on the bow with her and she is so happy to watch for fish, birds, whatever. When we caught a fish the other day, she was whimpering and jumping and trying to bite it. This went on for about 20 minutes. One night, a flying fish landed on Theo’s chest while he was sleeping. Isabel was so, so happy… Theo was not. You are probably asking yourself at this point “Why the hell don’t they just close the window in the bedroom?” The answer is “No… too hot. We would rather sleep with fish”.

Mambo is a Portuguese Waterdog and he is lovely, but usually not very aware of his surroundings. He has handled these days very well. He will lie on a cushion on the stern and waves will crash on him and he does not move. Every time he climbs up to sit with us for lunch or dinner, be bangs his head on the table (he has done this for 3 weeks). I am very impressed about his yoga-like ability to stand on three legs and pee at the same time during a storm. I realized he had truly adapted when I was having coffee one morning and watched him slide across the entire length of the stern while pooping at the same time. Impressive!

Quotes for this week:
“My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am” Anonymous
“Let’s go fast and get out of this shit”  Bruno Bomati
“If you are going through hell, keep going” Winston Churchill
“Everything will be okay in the end, if it’s not ok, it’s not the end”
Lessons of this week:
1) If you decide to travel by boat to the South Pacific, do not bring anything of value. It will rust, mold, deteriorate or just fly away.
2) The French believe that if you step in dog poo with your left shoe you will be lucky for the rest of the year… Marie will be very lucky. Mambo made sure of that…
3) Ziploc bags are priceless.
4) Clothespins can also be used as hair clips.
5) Always make sure the hatches are closed and the pillows inside when you see a black cloud coming… You will have about 1 minute to do this.

French words of this week:
Glisser. Translation: To slide
Il ne fait pas… tre’s chaud. Translation: No …too hot.
Je n’aime pas ce temps.  Translation: We do not like this weather
Allons nous en.  Translation: Let’s get out of here
C’est une bonne ide’e.  Translation: Good Idea

Ocean Sightings: One fish on our fishing pole… Ate it

Books: Exploring the Marquesas Islands by Joe Russell

On my Playlist: Rod Stewart, Natalie Merchant, Matchbox Twenty, Dave Loggins and Chris Isaak

Tears Shed: Zero


April 25, 2014.  Land Ho!

Our last night was a stormy one. We are all tired, but excited because today we will see the Hiva Oa island. Bruno and Marie said we should be able to smell it soon. I never considered that you could smell land. We have 50 miles to go… It is a wonderful day. I am calm and happy.

We began to see the island on the horizon in the late afternoon. We had lunch and drank champagne on the bow, silently watching as the shape of land became larger and clearer. It is a very emotional and powerful moment when you realize you have arrived….We have crossed the Pacific Ocean!


Land is in sight.

Hiva Oa in the background.


Quote for today:  “Nothing is worth more than this day”

Lesson for today: You can smell land after being on the open ocean for 20 days

French Words for today: Nous sommes fous. Translation: We are crazy


Tears Shed: Quite a few when I first saw Hiva Oa, but they were happy tears

No comments:

Post a Comment